Connect With Us
FAQ: WHEN ARE YOU MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE DANDRUFF?
For some people, dandruff is present all the time. For others, the visible signs might seem worse at particular times.
There are a number of factors, which can affect your dandruff, that change over time and are affected by the environment you’re in.
Here are the times when you’re most at risk of dandruff:
- Puberty – as your hormone levels start changing during puberty, your body begins to produce more scalp oil. The dandruff-causing microbe, Malassezia globosa breaks down those oils into other substances that are irritating to the scalp. This is why so many people experience their first case of dandruff in puberty.
- Increased body temperature – when your body temperature increases, it creates the ideal conditions for Malassezia globosa to thrive. So when you raise the temperature of your head – like when you wear a hat – you are more at risk of scalp irritation and dandruff.
- Stress – this can weaken your body’s natural defences, leaving you less able to respond to irritation on your scalp. That’s why many dandruff sufferers complain of the problem being worse when they’re particularly anxious
- Environmental factors – there are plenty of factors all around us like pollution and UV rays which can damage the scalp’s natural defences against dandruff. So when you’re out in the sun or spending a lot of time in busy urban environments, you may find your dandruff becomes aggravated as your scalp defences are damaged
- Skin Sensitivity – unfortunately, your skin’s sensitivity can also change over time, becoming irritated by substances that never bothered it in the past.
If you do get dandruff, it’s because your skin is reacting to dandruff irritants that have formed on your scalp.
Using Head & Shoulders regularly helps remove those irritants, to get rid of dandruff.