Connect With Us
Dandruff brings with it a slew of unpleasant symptoms. Know what causes dandruff and the best ways to get rid of it quickly, with our expert’s advice.
Dandruff is primarily accompanied by constant itching, swollen or red scalp, and white flakes. Not only do these symptoms make you uncomfortable, but the noticeable flakes also cause embarrassment. When you spot those flakes on your hair strands or clothes, your first action would possibly be to conduct an Internet search on how to get rid of dandruff quickly.
But instead of trying various “hacks” to get rid of dandruff and worsening the situation, allow us to share with you how to get rid of dandruff fast. Before we get into the details, let’s look at what causes dandruff and the best ways to make your scalp flake-free.
The pesky, white flakes that are glued to your hair strands or clothes are often mistaken for dry skin. Dry scalp does cause flakes, but the yellowish-white oily flakes that cause incessant itching on your scalp are termed as dandruff. Though this condition is not contagious, it does cause discomfort. Which is why it’s understandable why you want to know - how to get rid of dandruff quickly. You aren’t alone in this battle against dandruff; one in two people have suffered from dandruff at some point in their life. These dandruff flakes occur due to Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, a skin condition that causes the scalp to produce more oil, which cause shedding of waxy, oily flakes.
Understanding what causes dandruff can help you gauge the situation properly and allows you to customise your hair care schedule accordingly. Plus, it offers a better insight into how to get rid of dandruff fast. The major causes of dandruff are:
• The most common cause of dandruff is the microbe, Malassezia globosa. It lives on your scalp and is usually harmless. The microbe breaks down the sebum in your hair to produce certain by-products, namely oleic acid. While most people remain unaffected by this, some people are allergic to oleic acid. Result? Dandruff.
• Not shampooing your hair can also cause dandruff. When you skip hair washing days, more oil and other nasties accumulate in your scalp. These impurities create an unclean environment on your scalp and allow the microbe to thrive. Also, when you shampoo, it takes care of the extra oil that can otherwise cause dandruff.
• Certain skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema can also cause flaking and redness that’s associated with dandruff.
• If you are sensitive to certain hair products (contact dermatitis), it can trigger an allergic reaction that often leads to dandruff.
• When you think of how to get dandruff out of hair fast, the best way is to choose the right anti-dandruff shampoo. Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoos are the perfect choice when it comes to getting rid of dandruff easily. Did you know one in two people in the world has suffered from dandruff at some point in their lives? Head & Shoulders is a dermatologists’ recommended brand and offers an extensive range of shampoos that offer up to 100% dandruff protection*. These anti-dandruff shampoos are formulated using anti-dandruff active, which have proven to be effective in dealing with dandruff.
• The cardinal rule of hair care is to always use a conditioner after you shampoo your hair. This applies to anti-dandruff hair products too. So, when you use an anti-dandruff shampoo, you need to follow it up with an anti-dandruff conditioner. The Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Conditioner offers up to 100% dandruff protection*. These conditioners are formulated specially to fight dandruff and give you a healthy scalp. The anti-dandruff conditioners can moisturise both your hair and scalp and gives you gorgeous, healthy tresses.
• To get rid of dandruff fast, you need to be consistent with your dandruff treatment. For mild dandruff, using gentle anti-dandruff shampoos can give immediate relief, and you’ll notice a difference from the first wash itself. For more stubborn or severe dandruff, you’ll need specially formulated shampoos and conditioners and be consistent with it. These formulas are created with active ingredients that target the fungal or yeast that cause dandruff.
Treating dandruff in the initial stages can ensure that your scalp stays free from dandruff and its other symptoms. If you continue to experience incessant itching and redness of the scalp despite using dandruff treatments, you need to consult your doctor immediately.
(*visible flakes, with regular use)