A Tried and Tested Guide to Washing and Styling Your Hair Effectively
Washing your hair improperly can damage your tresses. Learn how to wash your hair the right way with our expert’s tips and advice.
1. How much shampoo should I be using?
2. How important is conditioner, really?
3. How often should I wash my hair?
4. What is the right temperature for washing my hair?
5. Steps to wash your hair
6. How should I dry my hair after it’s washed?
Everyone knows how to wash their hair. But have you ever experienced a bad hair day despite pampering your tresses with your elaborate shampoo + conditioner routine? This happens probably because your hair isn’t washed “properly.” Not washing your hair the right way can cause flakes and make your tresses dry and brittle.
There’s no elaborate science behind this but making a few amends in your hair-washing technique can give you impressive results.
So, to avoid such fiascos, we will tell you how to wash your hair the right way.
How much shampoo should I be using?
This quick session on how to wash hair properly involves knowing how much product to use.
• How do you know your hair is clean enough? You use the shampoo twice! Since you don’t wash your hair every day, for your hair to look and feel clean, you need to wash it well. When you shampoo the first time, you only get rid of the excess dirt and other impurities. However, this doesn’t clean your hair completely. Instead, it forms a layer on your hair that can make it look dull and lifeless. To get it squeaky clean, you need to shampoo it the second time.
• Another factor to keep in mind is that more shampoo does not mean cleaner hair. For the first wash, just pump a coin-sized dollop into your palms and wash your hair clean. The second round has to be a bit more intense because you need your hair to be thoroughly clean. Ensure that you target your scalp, massage it gently to create more lather. This leaves your hair clean and refreshed.
• For gorgeous, silky, dandruff-free hair, try Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Shampoo. This anti-dandruff shampoo is formulated with moisturisers that give you smooth, silky hair by locking out frizz and hydrating your dry locks. Go ahead, touch your hair and enjoy the feeling of smooth, soft hair. You can also use Head & Shoulders Clean & Balanced Shampoo that gives you seven benefits — calms itchy scalp, fights dry scalp, relieves irritation, reduces redness, controls flaky scalp, great smell, and leaves your hair looking great.
How important is conditioner, really?
Hair wash is not just about shampooing your hair to make it clean; it also involves a very important step—conditioning. Shampoos and conditioners complement each other; you cannot skip either of these. The daily wear and tear and heat styling can make your tresses lose their natural moisture. And the moisturising properties of a conditioner provide your hair with an intense dose of moisture that keeps it healthy, strong, and prevents breakage.
You can try Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Conditioner that is formulated with moisturisers that keep your tresses soft and hydrated. No more frizzy hair, just fresh-smelling clean hair. For a balanced wash to keep your hair hydrated, you can use Head & Shoulders Clean & Balanced Anti-Dandruff Conditioner. It gives you a clean scalp and leaves your hair with a classic, clean scent.
How often should I wash my hair?
A hair wash is the simplest way to experience a good hair day. But rinsing your hair every day is not the answer. It’s important for you to know how frequently you should wash your hair. Even hair care experts assert that washing hair every day does more harm than good. So, do it on alternate days. Create your hair-washing schedule in such a way that you wash your hair at least thrice a week. This works for most hair types.
Plus, when you wash your hair every day, it strips it of its natural oils that can cause dryness, and make your hair dull and brittle. Thus, it’s vital for you to understand that your hair health depends on the natural oils that your scalp produces, to keep it hydrated. If you have fine hair that is prone to oiliness, you can add more hair-washing days to your schedule. In case you have curly or coarse hair, it’s advisable to wait a few days between washes.
What is the right temperature for washing my hair?
For rinsing hair, scratch off the idea of warm water and use lukewarm water, as it is the ideal temperature to wash your hair. It washes away the grime, dirt, and oil and doesn’t dry your hair and scalp in the process. However, a colder rinse after you wash the shampoo and conditioner from your hair adds shine to your tresses. It even makes your hair softer and more voluminous.
Steps to wash your hair
In our session on how to properly wash your hair, we’ll tell you how to maximise the effectiveness of shampoo and conditioner.
• Step 1: Dampen your hair with lukewarm water before you apply shampoo.
• Step 2: Take a dollop of shampoo about the volume of a hazelnut and using water make a lather. Now distribute the shampoo across your hair and gently massage your scalp in circular motions . Do not use your nails to massage your scalp.
• Step 3: Use lukewarm water to rinse the shampoo out of your hair. Ensure that you rinse it off completely.
• Step 4: Squeeze your hair gently to remove the excess water from your tresses. Now take a coin-sized dollop of conditioner and apply it to the length of your hair, starting mid-length. Do not apply the conditioner to the scalp as it becomes oily.
• Step 5: Let the conditioner sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse it off completely until your hair feels clean.
How should I dry my hair after it’s washed?
After a satisfying hair wash, you need to learn how to dry your hair properly. You will probably reach for your towel to wring out the extra water. However, doing so can cause friction and lead to hair breakage. Instead, use an old cotton t-shirt and wrap it around your hair to remove the water. The best way is to let it air dry. This is the natural way to let your tresses dry without any damage. However, if you are in a hurry, then you can always use your blow-dryer, but ensure that you dial down the heat and apply a heat protectant to prevent hair damage.
Rinsing your hair with a shampoo and conditioner is not a difficult task. But unless you do it right, it can cause hair damage. Now that you know how to wash hair properly, stick to it and watch your hair transform into healthy, lustrous locks that you always desired.